Friday, August 1, 2014

Sewing Machine: new toy: new friends


Since moving to Washington state, I've missed being able to "borrow" my mother's sewing machine whenever I wanted. It's been 4 months and I was beginning to get antsy. Not being about to justify the cost to ship my mother's machine here from Arizona, or even spring for a brand new one, I turned to craigslist. Sure, it can be sketchy and there are a lot of scams, but so far I've bought and sold quite a few items using the site. I looked for a few days before finding an add for an older model White Sewing Machine. The price $20. Although they were located in Portland, it seemed worth the drive for the price. After decided on a meeting time, with my 2-year-old in tow and Toy Story on the DVD player, we headed out. Upon arriving, I was a little nervous but determined to remain brave for this adventure. A beautifully petite Armanian woman, around my own age, opened the door with a welcoming smile. She invited me in. Still unsure about how my son would react to our encounter, I held him in my protective arms and scoped out the scene. It wasn't long before I spotted her own toddler playing amongst a sea of toys. Immediately, my son lepted from my arms and bolted towards the closest ball(his favorite of course being a boy). The woman invited him to play with her daughter and the two were instant friends. The woman then turned to me and invited me to sit. I exhaled and let myself relax. We chatted for a bit about kids, travel and life in general. I was thrilled and accepted eagerly when she offered me a cup of Turkish coffee. When she pulled out the dark chocolate and dates, I wasn't sure how the day could get any better. She was also so kind as to postpone a previously scheduled lunch date with her husband so we could visit a bit longer. When we finally said our good-bye, I left with not only my new sewing machine, but a new friend as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment